Sunday, June 10, 2007

I forget where I left off. So I'll just continue in my 2013/14 season. The season started innocuously enough. No big players suddenly dissipating. It was all in all a peaceful beginning.

Although, I think I did make a big signing in the beginning of the year. I was searching for midfielders, and I found Gavin McCann. He was pretty old, but he was also pretty good. I think he was out of contract, so he was desperate for work and open to joining a team as lowly as ours. So, I signed him, and it seemed like it would all work out.

The first few games went with only one small hitch; Gavin McCann couldn't prove himself because he was injured. Also, we were firmly established as upper table, but not yet at the top.

One of the few things I regretted was being angry at my players for losing a few early games. First of all, we were barely expected to reach a mid table position. So, I should have been happy for anything above that. Also, my team was able to perform miracles when jacked up on morale. So, i n retrospect, shooting them down was the wrong thing to do. Good thing I realized this early on, and stopped.

As far as cup positions went, it was the same as last year. For the first two cups that always happen, good enough to get past the first few, but losing later on. For the Scottish League Cup, we weren't good enough to win, but we were good enough to earn ourselves a sizable amount of cash.

Eventually the games went on and on. McCann got better and started getting into the team of the week. My team was really proving ourselves to be something else. Although, I did notice something interesting. First of all, our strikers weren't really consistently the best in the league any more. They were good, that's for sure, but not quite the best. Still, not really a problem, as we were doing very, very well.

Now, to the dramatic finish. The scene is like six games to the end. Then, we were fist, with Alloa trailing, but trailing close. Then we lost a game, and they somehow managed to be first. So, we went through the next few games with Alloa being barely ahead of us. We were going to catch up. And we did. On our second to last game, we were against and easy opponent, that we easily won. Now we were tied with Alloa in terms of points. And the best part? Our final game was against Alloa.

Everyone was fired up for that game. The starting squad's morale was all very good. The Alloa manager told the press that his team would win, but that didn't affect my players. Well, it did, but I think it just fired them up more. Then, it was time for a final match.

But first, a word on the possible outcomes. A win would mean we were first in the league, and we would instantly be transported to the next division up. A tie would mean we still win, as we had a higher score difference. A loss would mean we would be second, but not necessarily passed by for promotion. There's a playoffs for promotion, but I don't like to chance those. So, we had to win, or at least draw. A loss might mean our doom.

And it was a crazy game. If I remember correctly, there was just one score. It was a seemingly lucky shot by a newly signed striker. I forget how good he was, but he did have some quality to him. And that was it. We were the champions. We got promoted. Everyone was happy. The press fell over themselves trying to compliment me. It was another glorious day.

No comments: