Wednesday, July 2, 2008

Pig Launching; Feasible?

Let's wrap up this Yahoo Answers stuff.

So near the beginning, spurred on by the success of my one questions, decided to ask another. Unfortunately, this one had only one answer. I thought it was interesting enough...

I asked,

Say one is to launch a pig as far as they can where the pig stays alive in the end. Assume this is an average pig.

What contraption would you recommend?

How would you keep the pig alive?

How far could you get the pig?

Any mathematics you'd like to show off?


Like I said, I only got one answer. Thank you, brave soul who actually managed to find my question.

Of course, I was intending for some sort of safe pig catapult. Yeah, I know it's crazy, but maybe someone else didn't think so.

Too bad the guy who answered thought I wanted a pig in space.

So, their first answer was to send the pig up via the Russian's commercial space flight system.

While I'm sure they'd offer some sort of discount for non-humans, it'd still be FREAKING EXPENSIVE.

His next suggestion was to send the pig up on a satellite, a la Laika.

Alas, if the superman episode about sending a monkey into space is any indication, that's not a good idea at all.

As for an actual answer to my question, I'd probably go with a normal catapult, but with a pig parachute. It might work.

Heck, I might even make the parachute tiered, just like Susan from my 8th grade science class did to her bottle rocket. The Susan everyone overlooked, and subsequently won. Surprisingly, I lost. Second to last.

No comments: